Monday, October 25, 2010

Responses

Liu Reading:
-digital environment is affecting how people read
-affects: time spent, non-linear,unconcentrated, screen based, more browsing/scanning/keyword spotting
-print=concentrated, in depth/ digital=not
Nielsen Reading:
How little Do Users read?
-average web page, users read at most 28% of the words during an average visit, more likely 20%
-scanning!!
Emial Newsletters: surviving inbox congestion
-newsletter usability has increased, but competition for users attention has grown with more information
F-Shaped pattern for reading web content
-users read webpages in F shaped pattern: 2 horizontal stripes followed by vertical one
Jerz Reading:
10 Tips:
1. Navigation is important because it has to still make sense
2. Put Home on every page, use same design scheme for each page, group similar items, don't do back and next,place navigation on top and bottom of page
3. Home Link, up, author and date, related pages
4. users look at content area, navigation bar, menu bar, marketing
5. Group similar pages together
6) Meaningful link titles
7) Consistent navigation
8) Place holder text in menus
9) multiple navigation bars for large sites
10) breadcrumb trails
Does My Website Suck?
-centered text
-too much text

Charlotte: I love your splash page. It really drew my attention with the large title and cool fonts. Your design was relatively simple, but all in all I thought it was quite effective. I liked how all the links were across the top the entire time because it made it easy to navigate and not confusing. This would probably be pretty easy to make into a linear printable version.

Sean: I liked the background and title because they were interesting to look at, but the yellow font sort of threw me off for some reason? It took me a second to find the links because of the distracting background. It was a little confusing to me when the links changed places after being clicked on, but it definitely made it fun to read.

Aldo: I really liked the overall look of your site, the background looked really cool. The format of your site really made me want to read what you wrote about for some reason, especially the way you set up the links. I thought your website was well-organized but not boring! Good job!

No comments:

Post a Comment