Monday, October 11, 2010

Overpriced Things Hypertext Proposal

We as humans are a consumer race. We buy things nearly every single day, and let’s face it; many things we buy are overpriced. Let’s start off with something simple. Printer ink, it’s just ink, and it should be cheap, yet it costs around $15 to buy. What got me to notice the overpricing of things were the expensive airline fares. I love to travel to Japan, well to visit my girlfriend, and to do that it’ll cost me around $1,000. And that’s if I’m lucky! As a young adult, my income is low, and many things are very expensive for me, as it is for every young adult as well as people with low income jobs. And there are also the homeless who have a hard time buying just food to survive! Many of the things in the market are overpriced, but there’s another side to the story. If those items were not pricy, then corporations and businesses wouldn’t be able to make ends meet. They need to bump up prices so that they can gain money. Although homeless people and people with low income jobs wish that prices were lowered, they would change their opinion if they were on the other side. The same would apply for business workers, except the opposite. What I’m trying to say is that everyone as a consumer would love lowered prices, yet if they were trying to sell something, they would without a doubt try to raise the prices. This is all incorporated with our economy. We need buyers and sellers to have an economy. And the thing is, with higher prices and inflation, many people tend to live easier and happier. But if prices were to drop, as I want them to, then the economy would go into a depression, leading to much money loss. What I aim to do in my hypertext is to show with examples that every day we purchase overpriced items without even really noticing it. I also wish to show how poorer people are affected by this overpricing and why companies need to make their goods expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment