Monday, April 11, 2011

major remix with intro

For my fan fiction/remix of the book Little Brother I decided to focus on the theme of youth in rebellion, a reoccurring theme. My senior year there was an incident where the newly appointed president fired 15 of our best teachers at random, the teacher that had been at the school for years. They did this because of a lowered enrollment due the poor economy. The students were not having it. A group of 15 or so seniors, me included, decided that we wanted to talk to the new president Sister Mary Tracy to see why she had done such a thing. We later found out that she doesn't arrive to school until 1. So we waited in the courtyard. Other students, mainly seniors also upset heard that we were outside waiting to talk to her and they joined us. The news slowly tricked down until we had about 300 students and even some teachers waiting for her arrival to explain herself. Being put on the stop did not yield well for the newly brought in president. She was terrified and you could tell in her mannerisms and responses. Later that week a town hall style meeting was held with the senior class which got absolutely no where. Never once did she answer the question how class sizes would stay small with 15 teacher fired and without intentions to hire new ones. The administration essentially waited it out until the seniors graduated and the majority of the heat was off their backs. This incident parallels the theme of youth in rebellion or youth vs. authority found in Little Brother. For my remix I decided to put the previously mentioned event in comic form. I could not do it exactly how I liked based on the nature of the program but I think I did pretty well and the comic can also stand on its own which I feel is important. 2 of the 15 teachers ended up getting rehired in an attempt to shut up the students and to keep class sizes down. Additional things added to the school 2 new flat screens, a new mascot costume, and a new college counselor who is a big shot and very good at his job ($$$). I know when I am older ECHS will ask me and other alumni for donations...the answer will be no.

http://webpages.scu.edu/ftp/mcreswell/Comics.html

No comments:

Post a Comment