Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Machinima/Screenplay Inspiration & LB Machinima Idea

After watching a few machinima and reading a few screenplays, on games and movies that I liked/knew well, I realized I had a lot of fun doing so. I'll start with the screenplays since I don't have a whole lot to say about them. The interesting thing about the screenplays was that the script was quite bare bones, yet at the same time, very descriptive. The scenes and backgrounds were portrayed well, yet of course, everything that happens in the movie can't be described in just words. The saying "A picture is worth a million words" comes to mind here. Though the screenplays were descriptive and had almost all the lines the actors said word for word, there was something missing. The actors give the words life, something you can't see in a script. Also, the music in a movie, which is obviously not in the screenplay, has such a huge effect in the experience. However, the screenplay by itself was still very interesting. It inspires me to be able to create something of that level. A whole movie experience (with the exception of missing sound) perfectly packed into a tightly written script. It was amazing to me the amount of detail written in such short paragraphs. I could clearly grasp the scene and feeling that was trying to be conveyed. I wish I could create a screenplay so clear and well-written. I'm inspired now to actually write a script for a movie that has great dialogue and also great and concise descriptions of scenes.

Now onto the machinima. I really, really enjoyed watching these short films. I watched machinima on video games that I love and have played countless times, which is probably the reason why I enjoyed them this much. All the machinima I watched were comedic however. I've never really seen a machinima that was made for drama, or seriousness. So my point of view is just on funny short animations. The one thing that I loved the most were the scripts and the voice actors who did the lines. After watching the films, I'm inspired to create something that's just as funny. The machinima also had good variety of movements and camera angles which helped, but the voice acting and script was what really made it enjoyable. I want to create a piece of work that has that amount of variety and effort. Which means that I'll have to start thinking about ways to create a funny script with funny voice actors who can deliver the lines well. Definitely, the voice actors played a huge part...it kind of inspires me and I wonder if I could ever deliver lines that funnily.

For my Little Brother machinima, I definitely want to try create something comedic. I was thinking maybe using the paranoid and invasion of privacy aspects to create a funny, over-exaggerated situation. Maybe where the main characters are constantly being watched even while they're in the bathroom or doing very private things such as sex, as examples. And when they find out they're being watched, they are shocked/surprised and become overly paranoid but also angry, which ensues some funny dialogue provided by excellent voice actors. Or at least something along those lines. That's my idea for my Little Brother machinima.

No comments:

Post a Comment