Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Machinima and Screenplay Response

The screenplays definitely helped to provide a different aspect on the movie world. Reading the screenplay along side a scene gives a film so much more justice and expression behind what the director and writers attempted to portray. For example, I looked up one of my favorite movies on a screenplay website provided. In the movie Se7en there was a scene that highlighted a crime scene that involved a decayed body surrounded by air fresheners to preserve the smell. The screenplay depicted the scene so vividly that I believe reading it was much stronger compared to watching the scene itself.

“The blond cop enters, gun trained, looks around in confusion.

The room's tables, chairs and floor are covered with hundreds of colorful, plastic air fresheners.

INT. SLUM APARTMENT, MAIN ROOM -- MORNING Mills and Somerset enter.

Somerset looks at the cops around the bed, then looks at a nearby wall. His mouth drops in horror. On the wall, written in excrement: SLOTH.

SOMERSET Jesus... California kicks the bed, enraged.

CALIFORNIA I said get up, Sleepyhead!

He pulls the sheets off the bed and reveals the shriveled, sore-covered form of a man who is blindfolded and tied to the bed with a thin wire which has been wrapped time and time again around the mattress and bed frame. Tubes runs out from a stained loincloth around the man's waist and snake under the bed”

Clearly, it is very important to have a powerful screenplay that can stand alone without having to show a scene. With a powerful screenplay, you really can find yourself engulfed in a scene. The scripts that were shown all do great jobs of highlighting everything within a scene whether it is large or subtle.

I also was able to look up a lot more about Machinima. Machinima personally has fascinated me since I was younger. There was a television show called Cinematech on G4TV that used Machinima to create amazing explosive montages on TV. One of the links that I ended up getting caught in was Red vs Blue. A lot of my friends followed the episodes and have their merchandise but I was never able to follow. I was an occasional Halo player when I was younger and that entire game has been an interesting video game world. I watched a few more of the Machinima that involved Second Life and there were many great portrayals such as “Architecture in Second Life” and a parody of “The Office”. I also saw many of the recreated music videos using Machinima which in some cases were executed perfectly. The overall idea of remixing will be something fun to dabble with and hopefully I can be as creative with these tools. I think my early love for Machinima will bring back memories and help me out in this project. I really do look forward to working with the Machinima and essentially creating a new world with new people. Hopefully it can involve what is not possible in reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment