Monday, April 11, 2011

Long Remix

I completely forgot how to post on the webpage so here is my remix:


What is normal?

When I was 18, I cut off my hair. I suppose at the time it may have been because it was fashionable at the time. But then I think the hair dictated who I became. As I grew up, my severe hairstyle turned me into a severe person. It’s funny how the image I saw every day in the mirror became the image I projected into the world. When I did that, when I cut off my hair, I surrendered my individuality and became the perfect cog in the Department of Homeland Security’s ticking time piece.
I am perfectly content to be a part of this mechanism; this machine that works because all of it’s pieces fit together. Every person that comes through these doors every day is normal, just like me.
And it feels so good to be normal, to be safe. I feel untouchable, if only because no one truly sees me. I am anonymous. To everyone that comes across me, I am SEVERE HAIRCUT. This normality is the key to a safe society.
__________________________


I am the norm. I am simply a part of the fabric. I am no one. As an employee of the Department of Homeland Security I am nameless and faceless. I suppose that is my job. My job is to be anonymous and after a while I start to feel anonymous.
But we just call that normal here.
Years of this so-called forced normality started to wear on me. I crave some seam of abnormality, but there are no seams here. This organization makes every effort to appear seamless, but I am beginning to believe that it is these exact attempts at normality that will tear us apart in the end.
I know this in my heart. A person can only take so much forced orthodoxy before his or her heart just wants to break free. I am BOOGER. I am GLASSES. I am MUSTACHE. I am EYE TWITCH. I am blank. But I am so much more.
It is because of the seams that we try so hard to mask that we will rip in the end.
__________________________

I come from the collective and individualized “we”. I am a part of a conditionless association. In a way, we have made abnormality the norm. I believe this factionless, classless, partyless, associationless association is of the upmost importance to the beauty that is American democracy. Or should I say, was American democracy. The collective and normalized “they” is trying to normalize us too. The DHS claims to be a means of protecting our country, but I swear, they are nothing but a ticking bomb.
Do not let them do this. Do not let yourself be a cog in their mechanism of destruction. Take it back. I will stand up and loudly and crudely say, take it back. Take back our freedom and individuality. Stop taking the things that are most important for granted. Do not let yourself become less than the absolutely imperfect, abnormal individual that you are. If you allow them to win, this beautiful mess that is us becomes so much less important.
I am WE. I am ME. I am Trudy Doo.


This is a series of monologues from minor characters from the novel that each give their idea of normality and how it plays a part of their lives. It starts with Severe Haircut lady and how she thinks normality is essential. Then a faceless part of the DHS speaks about how he craves for some sort of unorthodoxy but doesn't know how to find it. He sees forced normality as an eventual breaking point. Then Trudy Doo speaks out on abnormality. The succession shows the lack of individualization in the DHS by the use of regular nouns in place of names. Then Trudy Doo says she is herself in a sort of act of defiance toward generalizations. In three simple words, she reclaims her individuality and her self.

No comments:

Post a Comment