Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Machinima

What struck me the most while watching the various machinima videos and reading the different screenplays was how intricate and well thought out all of them were. I've played The Sims 3 and Grand Theft Auto and I never thought that these games could be utilized in order to portray a deep, emotional story while following the same intricacies (such as camera angles, zooming, sound effects, voice acting) that a normal real live movie would. Machinima, using the mechanics of the game involved, could be used to portray different kinds of movie genre such as comedy, drama, mystery and thriller. I particularly enjoyed watching the "Secret Lives" machinima because I never really thought that a game as silly as The Sims could be used to create a movie that projects a heavy sense of emotion. The screenplay of the Machinima is similar to an actual movie and once again, I never thought that such angles or such level of intricacy could be attributed to the camera angles of The Sims 3.

The screenplays in general were all incredibly detailed. Each scene is vividly written. I like how the mood in every scene is described and that the mannerisms of the characters are also sometimes written down. I enjoyed reading the script of "Jerry Maguire" because as I was reading the screenplay, I could imagine the scene in my mind and the level of detail put in the script elevated the depiction of the scene to an emotional depiction of the scene.

For my Machinima, I am interested in exploring the mysterious character Zeb. I want to write about his life, how he ended up in Treasure Island, what his experiences were while he was in prison, how he escaped and his life after the DHS' surveillance was shut down.

No comments:

Post a Comment