Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Machinima/Screenplay Inspiration

In going through the different machinima videos, I was able to observe what factors were and were not effective in each video. One thing that stood out to me was the fact that too many gestures, hand motions, etc. are not necessarily a good thing; it draws the audience’s attention away from the actual dialogue and focuses it on how much the avatar is moving. Another key thing I noticed was the importance of audio. In some of the videos I watched, the voices of the avatars sounded dry, boring and unexpressive. It is essential that the person recording each voice exaggerates the amount of animation and expression in his or her voice to make the video look more real.

In the screenplays, I noticed that every little detail in the movie is stated in the screenplay. Through my observations, it seems as though the primary objective of the screenplay is to give its reader a clear mental idea of what the movie is going to look like once it is produced. Each action, person and location is always explicitly stated and described.

One idea I have for my Little Brother-inspired machinima is to focus in on Marcus’s Xnet. In the machinima videos on YouTube, I noticed that the number of locations varied from only one to about fifty. For my video, I plan on having only one or two locations and the video will be centered around the dialogue rather than the actions (kind of like the Halo machinima video we watched in class).

No comments:

Post a Comment