Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Critical Thinking

“Critical thinking is careful and deliberate determination of whether to accept, reject, or suspend judgment.”

This statement on critical thinking appeals to me because I can relate to the writing style when I am creating my hypertexts. While researching facts on the chocolate industry for our research hypertext, I found was continuously questioning some of the methods that people are using to fight child slavery on cocoa bean plantations; some government official and groups of people believe that implementing regulations like the Fair Trade law is the most helpful way to stop slave trafficking in places like Africa. Although there are other ways to ensure the fairness and safety of plantation workers, I chose to accept this particular regulation as the best way to regulate working on plantations in Africa.

“Critical thinking is "a process which stresses an attitude of suspended judgment, incorporates logical inquiry and problem solving, and leads to an evaluative decision or action."

This particular theory appeals to me because I aspire to think more like this. When I first started doing research on child slavery on cocoa plantations, the first articles I read talked about the unfairness of child slavery and how wrong it is. While this is a strong argument that I, and most, would agree with, it is important that I do not judge the system at which the cocoa industry operates before diving deeper into researching the facts about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment