Thursday, November 18, 2010

Critical Thinking Excersice

"Thus, critical thinking involves: following evidence where it leads; considering all possibilities; relying on reason rather than emotion; being precise; considering a variety of possible viewpoints and explanations; weighing the effects of motives and biases; being concerned more with finding the truth than with being right; not rejecting unpopular views out of hand; being aware of one's own prejudices and biases, and not allowing them to sway one's judgment."

This quote truly represents what I think about when creating hypertext. For all my hypertext projects, I had to represent people other than myself, tell their story, without being biased from what I already had known. I had to take a variety of viewpoints to make the hypertext successful. Rather then trying to be "correct" I had to find the truth. For the research hypertext, I'm trying to convey the truth of the matter, whether or not the truth is what I believe in doesn't matter. I can't let myself sway my judgment, I must just write what is true and that is all. And this critical thinking quote sums that up perfectly.

"Critical thinking is careful and deliberate determination of whether to accept, reject, or suspend judgment. "

I also found this quote to be helpful. When creating the hypertext, I needed to be able to know what information should be accepted and put into the project, and which should be disregarded. If I put everything I learned about the topic into one hypertext, it would be too wordy and too much of a summary. I had to find the perfect balance.

"Critical thinking is the formation of logical inferences. "

Lastly, I agree with this quote because while doing my research hypertext, I realized that much information on low-wage McDonald's workers applies to the research journals on low-wage jobs in general, or working at restaurants. I just had to use my logical inferences to connect the situations of people in other low-wage jobs to the situations of people at McDonald's.

No comments:

Post a Comment